My girls are just so lucky

Last week we went out to Belville to see Mom Mom - Steve's grandmother. This week my granddad has flown in from Wisconsin to spend two weeks. My girls just don't realize how lucky they are (and they're not expected to) to meet up with their great grandparents.


I would love for the opportunity to meet up with my great grandparents. LOVE to. My gram and granddad have told stories about their mothers and fathers that have stuck with me - if just little snippits - like how granddad's mother always a colorful plate and what a great seamstress my gram's mother was.

Several years ago, I sent out questionaries for my grandparents to fill out regarding their lives so I could give it to my girls so they would have something from their great grandparents when they weren't here anymore. My gram has passed on, and thankfully, she filled it out, not only for my girls, but also (selfishly) for me. (God, I miss Gram so much every day of my life. There is a quote from The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton where Ponyboy says, "My mother was golden and beautiful." That was my Gram. Golden and beautiful. And now I'm crying again.....frick. It's so hard to lose someone you love so much and so unfair when someone leaves you so unexpectedly. Gram was so selfless and generous. My heart breaks every day all over again over the loss of her I truly hope she comes and visits my girls because they would be missing out on someone who is truly great. Heck, for that matter, I hope she comes and visits me, too, because I do miss someone who is truly great.)

This is why I sent out the questionaires to all the grandparents - I want them to know the greatness they came from and have a piece of that. I don't have that and I wish I did. Steve's paternal grandmother, Granny, also filled it out and sent it back.

I guess I need to resend it to every one else.

And now since this has become a harder post for me than intended, I'm off.

Love you, Gram.

2 comments:

Janice Lynn said...

I am FINALLY catching up with your blog. I feel ya. That picture is a treasure along with the beautiful memories.

Heidi said...

Before mom died she worked on a book for Andi that is called Grandmother, and asked her all sorts of questions about her life. She didn't finish it, but at least we have some of it. It breaks my heart that Andi and Noah do not have her with them, and I miss her sooooooo much. Your girls will know your Gram through you.